History

325 Cornwall Kiwanis Royal Canadian Air Cadet Squadron was founded, along with dozens of other air cadet squadrons in 1942 as World War II ravaged Europe and placed the fledgeling Royal Canadian Air Force in desperate need of pilots after the Battle of Britain. Originally, the Squadron trained young men to become airmen, preparing them for entrance into the Royal Canadian Air Force after they came of age. As part of their training, Cadets learned piloting, navigational, and mechanical skills, as well as being trained in the fields of military drill, small arms operation and leadership skills.

325 Cornwall Kiwanis Brass and Reed Band c.1947

After the War, the Air Cadet Squadrons revolutionized to meet the demands of a peacetime society, and 325 was no different. In fact, the Squadron operated its own Ice Hockey team, which competed on a local basis. By the late 1940's the Air Cadet League of Canada established the Gliding and Power Pilot Scholarship program, where exceptional Cadets were granted the opportunity to gain their Glider and Private Pilot's License, a program which exists to this day and is perhaps the single-most defining feature of the Air Cadet Organization. In the 1950's 325 reached its peak, numbering around 345 Cadets. During this time, and for 325 especially when compared to its regional counterparts 110 Stormont Sea Cadets and 2403 Army Cadets, Leadership, Community Service and Citizenship became the new pillars of the Canadian Cadet Organizations, and have been aptly adapted: the Air Cadet program has produced astronauts, politicians and a Chief of Defence Staff, and, in the notable case of 325, became a focus of the community, drawing in Cadets from all corners and small towns of the surrounding counties, developing them under the motto of "To Learn, Serve and Advance" into outstanding youth and young adults and sending them into the world as strong, capable and developed individuals, as near as the Royal Military College in Kingston and as far as Kandahar, Afghanistan in the recent War on Terror.

325 Air Cadets Hockey Team c.1945

In 1968, the Royal Canadian Air Force, the Royal Canadian Navy and the Canadian Army amalgamated in the Canadian Forces, adopting a single flag, uniform and service. For the Air Cadets, this meant the loss of their distinctive Blue Battledress uniforms and the adoption of a Rifle Green tri-element uniform. It would not be until the late 1980's that Air Cadets would again wear Air Force Blue.
Even more revolutionary at the time, it was not until July 30th 1975 that girls were allowed to enter the Canadian Cadet Organizations. At this point, 325 hosted Canadian youth of all ages and genders from 12 to 19 years of age. It was during this period however, that Cadet programs were withdrawn from local schools (many of whom had supported squadrons in their own right) and the CCO was forced to become a truly independent organization. Today, only one school, St. Andrew's College in Aurora, Ontario, maintains a school-centric Cadet Corps.